- Child-resistant door safety lock
- Accommodates most french-door-style levers
- Fits lever handle locks with a round base between 2-7/16” to 2-13/16” in diameter.
- Covers most internal doors with a cross bore diameter of 2-1/8”.
- Press and slide design
- No drilling required
- Pick the side of the door that you want to prevent your child from opening. That is the side of the door that the lever handle lock will be installed on.
- Remove the screws from the existing lever handles and remove both handles from the door.
- Take one of the adapter plates and align it with the internal components of the chosen handle. Push out the tabs on the adapter plate which corresponds with the internal screw posts or other obstructions by the handle mechanism. (Product comes with two adapter plates, one is a spare)
- Fit the adapter plate into the back of the lock. Make sure the arrows on the adapter plate are facing up and pointed posts are facing towards the door.
- Align the lock with existing lever handle hole in the door. Ensure that when you fit the lock and lever handle into place that the adapter plate doesn’t pop out of place. Fit both lever handles into place and reinstall with existing screws.
Brand: Safety 1st
Item Model Number: 48400
Item Weight: 0.8 ounces
Product Dimensions: 2.6 x 5.6 x 7.6 inches
Number of Items: 1
Batteries Required: No
Care & Cleaning: Spot or wipe clean
Installation Type: No drilling required
Three Tips to Keep Your Child Safe At Home
Child door safety locks should not be overlooked if you have toddlers at home. They can be as important as your child’s car seat. They are usually inexpensive and easy to install.
Here are three tips to keep your child safe at home with child safety door locks and other childproofing products:
1) Figure out which doors in your home need childproofing. Get down on your kid’s level. Which areas look enticing to them? This will help you realize all the ways your young children could hurt themselves if safety precautions are not taken. This will help you better assess your childproofing needs and identify the right child safety products to buy.
2) Understand the intrinsic risks in childhood and then take the necessary child safety precautions. You have to realize you cannot protect them from everything. No matter what you do, sometimes they still get hurt. Installing door locks for child safety and other childproofing products is helpful but adult supervision is still required. With proper supervision and attention to areas of your home of obvious safety concern, you will be able to adequately protect your children from harm.
3) After you’ve installed child safety door locks, take a wait-and-see approach. If you see your child being able to open the door after you’ve installed a door lock, then check whether you installed it correctly or not or maybe the lock is not the right one for the type of door you have. If you noticed your child can still open the door, then maybe you need a better door lock.
If you have a door with lever handle, Child Safety Store recommends Safety 1st Lever Handle Lock. This child safety door lock has a child resistant, press-and-slide design keeping your curious little one out of unwanted areas. Shop now!
Why Buy Safety 1st Lever Handle Lock from Child Safety Store
Our child safety experts are always available to answer any questions you may have about child safety products we are selling, questions about your purchase or on how to turn your home into a safer place for your little ones to live and enjoy.
Child Safety Store is your one stop source for any infant and child home safety proofing products.
The Lever Handle Lock by Safety 1st will accommodate most French or lever style door handles. This door safety lock is child resistant and features a press and slide design that will keep you little ones out of rooms they don’t belong in or that could pose a danger to them. This child safety door lock for lever handles should only be used on interior doors and is not intended for exterior doors.
The Safety 1st Lever Handle Lock is easy to install and does not require any drilling just a screwdriver. To install, all you need to do is remove the existing lever handles, add the lock and adapter plate, then reinstall the lever handles with the lock and adapter plate all aligned together.
To lock this lever door lock simply press it into the locking button and slide it towards the lever handle until you hear the button click into locked position. In order to unlock the system, press in the locking button and slide the button away from the lever handle. The lever childproof door lock can be overridden from the other side of the door by simply exerting a little bit of force to push the door handle door to cause the lock to pop out of the locked position.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is the lever handle lock screwed into the door?
No. There is no drilling required for this lock to be installed. You would need to take off the door knob and put the lever handle lock on then put the door knob back on. That is how it is held on.
How difficult is it to unlock once it is installed?
It is not difficult for an adult to unlock it. You do not need so much force. It’s a firm press and slide.
Can this be opened from the opposite side? I want to put this child safety door lock on the interior of my son’s door but I want to be able to open it from the other side.
The door cannot be opened from the other side when the lever handle lock is engaged.
How easy is this to remove when you no longer need it?
It is removed by the same process as installing, in reverse.
Our lever handle moves up and down to open, will this work in only one direction?
Once the Safety 1st Lever Handle Lock is installed, the top portion of the lock will prevent the handle from moving upward to open and the handle will only be able to move downward to open when the locking button is engaged.