Product Recall Alert: Magnetic Trivets Sold by QVC

Product Recall Alert: Magnetic Trivets Sold by QVC

It’s time for another product recall. This one concerns Tristar Products’ magnetic trivets sold by QVC. According to the recall alert, these products attach to the bottom of hot metal cookware thanks to powerful magnets. By design, you should be able to place the cookware safely on tables and counters. Unfortunately, the magnets can potentially detach. If found by a small child, these loose magnetic trivets pose a serious choking and ingestion hazard.

On QVC, these magnetic trivets were sold individually, as well as with the Copper Chef 10-Piece Cerami-Tech Nonstick Cookware Sets. The products in question contain four magnets encased in silicone and come in copper, burgundy, blue, and black colors. 

Why Are These Magnetic Trivets Being Recalled?

So, why exactly are these magnetic trivets being recalled? Well, Tristar Products received a report of magnets detaching from a trivet and being swallowed by a child. While this was only a single report, it had serious repercussions. Due to the ingestion, the child suffered intestinal perforations and blockage. Ultimately, the poor child ended up needing surgery. 

Basically, the problem is this: swallowing one magnet is bad enough. Swallowing two or more can cause the magnets to connect within the body. Inside, the magnets can cling to body tissues and internal organs. Obviously, that can be quite dangerous. If not properly and quickly treated, this can cause intestinal obstructions, perforations, sepsis, and even death. Put simply, the risk of internal injury posed by swallowing magnets is severe.

These magnetic trivets were sold by QVC between the months of October 2017 and October 2018.

These are images of the recalled products:

Magnetic Trivets Sold by QVC

Magnetic Trivets Sold by QVC

Here are the Product Recall Details, according to the CPSC:

Name of product:

Magnetic Trivets

Hazard:

Magnets can detach from the trivets, posing an ingestion hazard to children. When two or more magnets are swallowed, they can link together inside the intestines and clamp onto body tissues, causing intestinal obstructions, perforations, sepsis and death. Internal injury from magnets can pose serious lifelong health effects. 

Remedy:

Replace

Recall date:

July 30, 2019

Units:

About 350,000

Consumer Contact:

Tristar Products at 800-718-5136 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or online at www.Tristarproducts.com and click on “Trivet Recall Information” for more information. 

Recall Details

Remedy:

Consumers should immediately stop using the trivets and place them out of the reach of children. Contact Tristar Products for instructions to receive free replacement trivets. Tristar Products is contacting purchasers directly.

Incidents/Injuries:

Tristar Products has received one report of magnets detaching from a trivet and being swallowed by a child. The child suffered intestinal perforations and blockage, requiring surgery. 

Sold At:

QVC from October 2017 through October of 2018 for between $75 and $120 when sold as part of the cookware set and $10 when sold separately.

At Child Safety Store, we aim to inform parents about any potential dangers in their home. In cases like this one, we try to signal boost official product recalls that may put folks in harm’s way. Keep an eye on this blog for further news about potentially dangerous products. 

Previous article Don’t Forget to Check Your Children’s Digital Devices
Next article Keeping Kids Safe During a Heat Wave